2 Timothy 3:16-17 says that, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
As a church, our foundational distinctive is that we believe the word of God is sufficient for everything. It is sufficient for faith. It is sufficient for practice. We hold that the word of God should define whatever a church believes and whatever a church does.
We also believe that God has give us His Holy Spirit to help guide us in believing, understanding and applying the Bible to our lives as individuals and as a local church. For this reason, being led by the Spirit, we see the following things as being essential to our life together:
1. Bible-Centered: As a church, we seek to shape everything we do around God’s Word, believing that it is His Word alone that grows His people. More specifically, we allow the good news of Jesus Christ to drive every aspect of our gathering and going, aiming above all to make much of Christ in all of life. Learn more about how the Bible shapes who we are and what we believe by going here.
2. Expositional Preaching: The preaching ministry of our church is dedicated to declaring the gospel of Jesus Christ through helping us understand the Bible & apply it to our lives. We normally do this through systematically preaching through books of the Bible, some times looking at an entire chapter and sometimes narrowing in on a few verses. We believe, in the end, that the main point of the passage must be the main point of the sermon. Listen to our sermons here.
3. Dedicated Prayer: As a church, we believe that our health & growth is dependent on our trust in God. For this reason, we devote ourselves to much prayer in all our services. During our Sunday morning services, there are at least four different types of prayers that we pray, being led by both our pastors and members of our church. On Sunday evening we devote an entire service to praying together as a church. This is one of the best ways to actually get to know the members of our church, as we praise God, confess sin to Him and thank Him for how He is at work among us, finally praying over specific requests put together by our pastors. Learn more about our Sunday evening praise and prayer service here.
4. Congregational Singing: We believe the most beautiful sound on earth is the singing of God’s people. Because music is such a powerful means for glorifying God and encouraging one another, our desire is to approach worship in song with deliberate thought and care. For this reason, we seek to highlight the voices of the congregation in our gatherings, keep instrumentation minimal & singing songs that are easy to follow & deep in Biblical truth. Learn more about our music ministry by going here.
5. Family Integrated: As a spiritual family, we seek to have our children with us in our gatherings as often as possible. While we offer childcare for our smallest babies, our times together are full of children, who we pray God will draw to repentance & belief. This even roles over into our Wednesdays at Waverly, where we eat a meal together as one large family, before we have a time of Bible Study, learning and fellowship for all ages.
6. Intentional Discipleship: One of the driving desires of our church is to actually be in one another’s lives. We want to share one another’s burdens, build one another up & develop deep friendships, helping one another love & follow Jesus more. You can learn more about how we do this by reading our article, A Culture of Discipleship.
7. Pastoral Care & Leadership: We are thankful to have a plurality of pastors who lead us as a congregation spiritually & practically. While our members are the final earthly authority in our church, we aim to submit to the teaching, leadership & guidance of the men God has faithfully given to us for our equipping. Get to know our pastors/elders by going here.