The most important thing when looking for a church is knowing what they believe. This is why Statements of Faith are helpful. They express what a church believes Scripture teaches. They’re not meant to be exhaustive or replace God’s Word, but simply focus on what beliefs are essential for us to be Christians and for us to be a church. From the time of the Apostles until today, Christians throughout the ages have laid out the beliefs. Our Statement of Faith summarizes essential Christian beliefs, shows unity in Christ, and guards the church from error.
All who join Waverly Place Baptist are required to be in full agreement with our Statement of Faith. The ten articles of our statement shows our belief in historic Christianity, evangelical Christianity, believer’s baptism, and congregational polity.
STATEMENT OF FATIH
1. We believe the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be verbally inspired by God and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe that mankind was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death, but also spiritual death that is separation from God; that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and therefore are sinners in thought, word and deed.
4. We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
5. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and a substitutionary sacrifice; and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood alone.
6. We believe that regeneration is a change wrought in us by the Holy Spirit; that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God, no longer under condemnation, but fully pardoned and restored to the Father, who preserves them until the end.
7. We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and in His present life there for us, as High Priest and Advocate.
8. We believe in the sudden, visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ and in His Millennial Kingdom.
9. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the eternal blessedness of the saved, and the eternal punishment of the lost.
10. We believe that baptism is the immersion of a believer, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit in testimony of faith in the crucified, buried and risen Christ, and in confession that the believer is to be dead to sin and risen to newness of life in Christ Jesus; and that the Lord’s Supper is a commemoration of the Lord’s death “till He comes.”